Thursday, October 25, 2007

Gene Stratton Porter


My mother gave me Limberlost when I was about twelve; I think it was the closest I ever came to reading teenage angst books. I also read Freckles, and Michael O'Halloran, and Her Father's Daughter, and The White Flag to name my favourites. I haven't read any of them for years but I still have very clear memories of the stories because they were so often about things not being fair and when you're a teenager I think that is a very powerful hook. I've got them tucked away somewhere in the dining room so I'll have to pull them out and see how I find them twenty years later. Not Politically Correct I suspect. I remember Her Father's Daughter being quite rabidly racist about the Japanese and this was twenty years before Pearl Harbour.

1 comment:

KD Brockman said...

My grandmother gave me a copy of The Girl of the Limberlost when I was young. I loved it. I have collected Gene Stratton Porter books since then. I also love The Harvester, maybe even more than The Girl of the Limberlost.